Cimitero Inglese Bagni di Lucca
Il piccolo cimitero di circa 1800 metri quadrati, aperto nel 1842 e ora abbandonato. Era diviso in diverse aree: 46 spazi di prima classe; 260 spazi di seconda classe; e 84 spazi di terza classe. Per i bambini c'erano 25 spazi di seconda classe e 12 di terza classe. Potrebbe quindi ospitare 427 sepolture, 225 a destra e 202 a sinistra.
In 1840 Mr. Henry and Mrs. Elizabeth Stisted obtained permission from the Prince of Lucca Carlo Ludovico di Borbone Parma to build an Anglican Church and a Cemetery for the British community in Bagni di Lucca.
The small Cemetery of about 1800 square metres, opened in 1842 and is now abandoned. It was divided into different areas: 46 first-class spaces; 260 second-class spaces; and 84 third-class spaces. For children there were 25 second-class spaces and 12 third-class ones. It could, therefore, host 427 burials, 225 on the right side and 202 on the left.
In the Cemetery there are currently the graves of 139 people whose names can all be obtained from documents now preserved in the Historical Archives of the Municipality, but some also from the tombstones. Many graves are no longer visible.
The original layout is still quite recognizable in its basic forms. Immediately after the gate a short flight of steps leads to the central path that goes slightly uphill towards the Chapel used for funerals. About two thirds of the way to the Chapel another path crosses the middle one to form a Christian cross.
The semi-circular paths that started at the height of the stairs are no longer visible and were originally connected to the paths that went through the walls and led to smaller paths to access individual graves.
the Chapel for funerals was restored, along with its essential furnishings, in 2003 thanks to a grant from the Rotary Club of Lucca. It has a neo-Gothic shape and inside there is a simple altar-pulpit and a catafalque, both in neo-Gothic style.
Not all those who are buried here died in Bagni di Lucca, but had expressed their desire to be buried here in their will or had told relatives or friends of this wish. This shows that the English Community of Bagni di Lucca, with its Anglican Church and Cemetery, was a point of reference for the English who lived in nearby towns such as Lucca, Pisa, Livorno, but also in Rome and abroad.
The Cemetery, which belongs to the City Council, has been administered by the Michel de Montaigne Foundation and by the Bagni di Lucca Section of the Lucchese Historical Institute since 2012.
|Tomb of Ouida|